ELJHS features a wide variety of Fine Arts, Career and Technology Studies, Athletic, and Academic elective courses. Parents are encouraged to read the course list with their children before they rank their selections. Parents are also welcome to rank the courses with their children if they would like to have direct input into their child's complementary courses.
COVID-19 Planning: We hope that complementary courses will be elective next year (with students ranking their top choices). If we are forced to cohort again because of the COVID-19 pandemic, students will attend complementary courses with their cohort instead and each cohort will be randomly assigned to two courses.
Ranking Process: The complementary course selection process allows each student to rank the available courses. Students must pay careful attention to all of their choices because they may not be enrolled in their top selections. Students are encouraged to step outside their comfort zones and explore a learning opportunity that might be new or different for them.
- Student placement is based on birth month, with a new birth month placed first each term, increasing a student’s chance of enrolling in the most popular courses over the school year.
- After ranking their top choices, students are given the option to exclude one course that they do not want to be enrolled in next year.
- Students are typically placed in one of their top three choices depending on the popularity of the courses.
- Students have the opportunity to rank their preferred complementary courses for the 2021-2022 school year up until June 1.
- Each student is enrolled in two complementary courses in each term.
- Students in French Immersion are automatically enrolled in French Language Arts and they are given priority placement for their other complementary course.
- Students in the Math Skills course are also given priority placement for their second complementary course
Grade 7 Ranking Form (for current grade 6 students at ELUE and Terrace Ridge)
Grade 8 Ranking Form (for current grade 7 students at ELJHS)
Grade 9 Ranking Form (for current grade 8 students at ELJHS)
Fees: While our school does not charge any general school fees, most complementary courses require a small fee to cover individual student materials. Complementary course fees are payable in the first month of each new term.